Sunday, February 20, 2011

Where it all began...Under the Sea birthday cake

My obssession with cake decorating began with my son's 1st birthday cake back in October 2009. I had a fair idea of the kind of cake I wanted and thought Id have a go at making it myself. This was the end result...
Vanilla sponge (from a packet!) decorated with fondant icing and candy rocks.

Close up of the octpus and crab both made from cake and covered in fondant
I was suprised but very happy with how well it turned out especially being my first attempt at decorating a cake with fondant icing. And, I realised how much I enjoyed doing it-creating edible art! It seemed like the perfect hobby to keep me occupied whilst staying at home to raise my gorgeous little boy so I started offering to do cakes for my friends and their children as well.


I fell pregnant with our second child, our daughter Lila, in March last year. Being pregnant really slowed me down but now that she is here (and I am finally no longer pregnant!) I am very ready to get back to baking!

For more cakes, cupcakes, parties and interiors follow my new blog at little house inspired

1 comment:

  1. How did you make this cake? We are doing an Ocean themed party for my baby girls 1st also and need to come up with a cake. =0) Unless you live in Central Florida?? =0)

    ReplyDelete